Monday, July 23, 2018

Mark says: Have a plan

     As I said before I have a high interest in personal finance (PF).  I'm often searching many different financial blogs or forums for ideas or to hear the thought process of other people with knowledge regarding the subject.  Sometimes I learn something new, sometimes I disagree, most of the time I find that my initial idea was correct or with the consensus of other PF writers.
     So how do I approach my finances?  From here forth I will lay out my philosophy and how I implement these into my world.  I think the first thing to do is to make a plan.  Five year plan, ten year, twenty year it doesn't matter it is all changeable.  The biggest thing is to put something down.  If you don't something to keep yourself accountable then how can you know if you are making progress?
   There are all sorts of plans to think about.  Graduate school, buy a house, get married, have a kid, have another kid, have a midlife crisis, retire not necessarily in that order.  I myself only have two of these things on my list and the last is still two decades away.  I still have a plan and I still check my progress on occasion.  I check monthly to be honest, probably overkill but I keep track of my end of month balances so it is easy to update the progress.
   In the end Yogi Berra was right.  If you don't know where you are going, you might not get there.  Till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment